ProGenealogists.com, is a subsidiary of Ancestry.com consisting of professional genealogists who specialize in genealogy and family history research. ProGenealogists has developed excellent systems to track and assist staff in providing high quality and cost effective research service to genealogists, law firms, corporations, media outlets, and the general public. The firm has a solid 10-year history of sustainable annual growth.
The firm has worked as researchers for NBC’s Who Do You Think You Are?, the PBS Ancestors Series, African American Lives, the BBC’s TimeWatch series episode “The Iron Coffin,” and Showtime’s production The Tudors.
Reporting to a Team Lead, this position will be based out of the ProGenealogists office in Salt Lake City, Utah.
To successfully support continued growth, an Assistant Genealogist opening is available. This is an entry level professional position with potential for significant growth in the organization for the right candidate. The organization seeks an individual who has a strong interest and sufficient experience in genealogy research, follows instructions well, and enjoys detail work, and who is committed to long term growth as a professional genealogist.
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
- Provide office and research assistance to experience professional genealogists
- Conduct research at various archives, libraries, online and onsite as directed to solve genealogy problems
- Conduct and track correspondence requests, via email and letter writing
- Write, format and edit scholarly reports, blog posts, articles as requested
- Light filing and bookkeeping on occasion as requested
- Review and analyze client material to establish a foundation for research.
- Make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results.
- Collect and organize data and complete accurate data entry
- Track work time spent with accuracy.
- Contact clients and prospects under the direction of a case manager.
- Answer email, postal mail, and telephone inquiries cordially and professionally.
- Perform administrative and office support activities for multiple case managers.
- Train employees, assistants, volunteers, and others as requested.
- 40 hours per week
- Degree in Family History Research or 1-2 years of professional genealogical research or 2+ years of amateur genealogical research
- Well-skilled with computers (staff is mobile, Internet and electronically oriented, and managed across the world), including skills with Microsoft software (WORD, Excel).
- Good phone and communication skills.
- Minimum 55 wpm typing speed.
- Basic understanding of administrative and clerical procedures
- Positive outlook and excellent listening skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several tasks simultaneously
- Able to take and follow direction well
- Self-starter with the desire and energy to achieve goals under tight deadlines
- Patience, honesty and integrity are a must.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Foreign language experience preferred, especially German, Polish, Italian, Russian, and Scandinavian languages.
Working for ProGenealogists /Ancestry.com
Ancestry.com is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our websites at http://www.progenealogists.com and http://ancestry.com/careers.
Ancestry.com Inc. is interested in you and we are dedicated to building a diverse workforce with equal opportunities for employment.
Assistant Genealogist – ProGenealogists
Location: ProGenealogists – Salt Lake City, UT
Job Code: 138
# of Openings: 1
ASSITANT GENEALOGIST – ProGenealogists