Responsible for community access to lifelong learning opportunities at the Elkhart County Historical Museum. He or she will develop a comprehensive strategy for the continued expansion of educational programs and special events.
- Responsible for maintaining contact and cultivating relationships with county schools.
- Designs and implements school visits that may incorporate tours, interactive components, and follow-up activities.
- Develops multi-year educational programs for K-12 students based upon Indiana State Standards. Programs will be designed for on and off-site opportunities.
- Assists curatorial staff with exhibit design by creating educational and interactive activities that support the exhibit=s thesis.
- Aids museum director in authoring grants relevant to educational programs and events.
- Expands docent program by recruiting, training, and organizing volunteers.
- Plans and executes the annual event schedule, including the development of workshops and other programs designed for adult learning.
- Publishes annual booklet about museum educational offerings and designs the annual event schedule.
- Working mutually with the Museum Director and Marketing Coordinator, he or she will create a marketing strategy for educational programs and events.
- Collaborates in the development of Parks Department special events with the Interpretive Services staff.
- Position requires ability to work some evening, weekend and holiday hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Four year degree in museum studies, history, education or related field. Graduate degree in history or education with an emphasis in museum studies preferred.
PREVIOUS JOB RELATED EXPERIENCE:
Two to five years of progressive experience in a museum or education setting.
About the Company/Organization
The Elkhart County Historical Museum strives to tell the stories of the many people, places, and events that make up the history of Elkhart County. We are dedicated to preserving and fostering appreciation of the history of Elkhart County and the larger region. We believe that a broad knowledge of the past is essential to understanding and improving the present. The museum offers exhibits for all ages, educational programs, and a local and family history library.
The Elkhart County Parks Department mission is to enhance the quality of life, preserve the County’s cultural, historical, and natural resources; and provide education and recreational opportunities.
How To Apply
Apply by August 13, 2012
Submit resume and application to:
Elkhart County Personnel Office
117 N. Second Street
Goshen, IN 46526
For benefit and application information visit: www.elkhartcountyindiana.com or http://www.elkhartcountyindiana.com/departments/humanresources/JobOpenings/Curator%20of%20Education.pdf
For department information visit: www.elkhartcountyparks.org or