The National Museum of American Jewish History is seeking an energetic, detail‐oriented Curatorial Assistant to join its staff. This fabulous opportunity will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to learn about and participate in a major museum’s continuing evolution. Reporting to the Chief Curator & Director of Exhibitions and Collections, the Curatorial Assistant will join the team managing the Museum’s landmark core exhibition, its collection, and developing a robust schedule of special exhibitions. More information about the Museum is available at www.nmajh.org. This is a full‐time position.
The Curatorial Assistant is a multi-talented, creative, and responsible team member who participates in the administration and operation functions of the exhibitions and collections department, helps maintain the core exhibition, and supports the Chief Curator & Director of Exhibitions and Collections. This is an excellent opportunity to work in one of Philadelphia’s newest cultural institutions.
- Provide day-to-day administrative assistance, including composing letters, screening telephone calls, responding to e-mails, arranging conference calls, proof-reading materials, maintaining contacts, filing, updating calendars, making travel arrangements, ordering and maintaining supplies, and assisting with meeting planning and preparation.
- Arrange for exhibition equipment maintenance
- Represent and serve as a liaison for the Museum and the Chief Curator in a professional and articulate manner
- Support interdepartmental collaborations
- Perform a variety of complex computer assignments, including preparation of presentations, spreadsheets, database updates, and reports
- Act as book-keeper for departmental expenses
- Serve as an administrator for exhibition content database
- Participate in daily start up and monitoring of the exhibition’s A/V systems
- Organize and maintain file system, digital and physical
- Field inquiries from Museum staff and the public
- Should be a self‐starters with administrative experience
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and meet deadlines on schedule
- Demonstrated passion for museums, education, and arts and culture
- B.A. required and graduate training a plus
- Professional demeanor with a minimum 2 years of experience in non-profit environment
- Meticulous organization and impeccable written and oral communication skills
- Should be an energetic and effective self-starting communicator and successful collaborator
- Experience in book keeping, accounts payable, and budget reconciliation required
- Advanced expertise in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, and PowerPoint; knowledge of Photoshop, Publisher, Illustrator, and/or InDesign a plus
- Effective database management, with experience working in Access
- Experience working with A/V systems, video and image editing a plus
- Demonstrated ability to complete subject based and subject specific research
How To Apply
No calls please. Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Curatorial Assistant Search” in the subject line; or mail to Curatorial Assistant Search, National Museum of American Jewish History, 101 S. Independence Mall East, Philadelphia, PA 19106.