The Director of Education at The Shaker Historical Society is responsible for planning and implementing a curriculum on local history with schools. The Director of Education will work closely with the Executive Director on planning, curating, and writing text for exhibits. The Director of Education will solicit and train docents and oversee an internship program.
- Contact teachers regarding Travelling Trunk program or field trips to the SHS.
- Conduct tours of the SHS for school groups and various community groups.
- Maintain teacher eNewsletter and the SHS eNewsletter.
- Maintain and update the website with new exhibit, program, and event information.
- Create and post weekly Facebook and Twitter posts featuring exhibit and event information.
- Plan exhibits with the Executive Director, research and write text for exhibits.
- Curate items for the exhibits from the SHS collections and the NE Ohio community.
- Solicit new docents and conduct three training sessions for each group.
- Work with the Executive Director in planning programs for the exhibits. Contact and make arrangements with speakers.
- Prepare a monthly activities report for the Board meetings.
- Attend all Board meetings and special events.
- Maintain the internship program with various high schools, colleges, and universities.
- Interview prospective interns and recommend for placement.
- Oversee all intern activities and prepare a written evaluation.
- Help with general oversight and upkeep of the SHS.
- BA/BS in Education, History, or related field.
- The Director should have experience in the education field.
- The Director should have excellent writing and communication skills, and the ability to work well with visitors of all ages.
How To Apply
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter via email or mail to: Ann Cicarella, Executive Director The Shaker Historical Society 16740 South Park Boulevard Shaker Heights, OH 44120 email@example.com