Hyde/Jackson Square Main Street (HJSMS) is a non-profit organization led by neighborhood stakeholders–merchants, residents and community organizations–dedicated to the revitalization of Jamaica Plain’s commercial corridor along Centre Street.
The organization relies on volunteer community involvement with staff support. HJSMS’s mission is to create a safe, visually vibrant, economically sound business district in Hyde/Jackson Square; a district known as Boston’s Latin Quarter that reflects the full diversity of Jamaica Plain. Working in partnership with our community, we strive to promote the district and its businesses throughout Greater Boston, strengthen the skills of local merchants, attract businesses that strengthen the district, and enliven our streets with cultural events to shape Boston’s Latin Quarter as an accessible and desirable place for families of all backgrounds to live, work, and shop.
The Director is the principal staff person responsible for the coordination and development of all program activities. The Director coordinates the activities of Main Street volunteer-led committees and the Board of Directors, and assists the committees with cross-communication and implementation of work plan items. The Director reports directly to the Board President and is expected to prepare monthly reports and documents for the Board of Directors. The Director is also responsible for managing regular communications about program activities to local businesses, Boston Main Streets, partner organizations and property owners. Hyde/Jackson Square in Jamaica Plain is an ethnically, racially, and economically diverse Boston neighborhood.
- Oversee and coordinate the work of the volunteer committees encompassing promotion of the district, event planning, economic development and analysis, educational programming and technical assistance to strengthen businesses, marketing, and volunteer management
- Develop and implement a fundraising plan; coordinate fundraising activities including developing sponsor relationships, planning special events and developing new fundraising strategies and activities
- Develop promotional materials
- Recruit and supervise volunteers, interns and assistants;
- Overall management and administration of the organization including: developing and maintaining the budget and financial reporting systems, monthly reporting to the Board and Boston Main Streets, office administration, accounting, maintaining data systems, database development, purchasing, and record keeping
- Coordinate Main Streets’ role in major development initiatives in the neighborhood to ensure compliance with Main Street business development priorities – Represent organization at local and city-wide meetings and events
- Additional responsibilities as needed
- 1 – 3 years professional experience required, 3+ preferred in one or more of the following areas: promotions, fundraising, small business or economic development, marketing and communications, design, community organizing, volunteer management
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) required
- Demonstrated experience in events planning, grant writing, and resource development for small non-profits preferred
- Demonstrated ability to motivate people and coordinate activities in a volunteer-run organization strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience with nonprofit financial management preferred
- Experience with the Main Streets approach to commercial revitalization or similar revitalization strategies preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to issues confronting small businesses
- Energetic, imaginative, well-organized individual capable of functioning effectively in an independent work environment
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Quick Book and Photoshop strongly preferred – Familiarity with Jamaica Plain helpful
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends
How To Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to: Hyde/Jackson Square Main Street c/o Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Name: Katie Reed Title: Interim Executive Director Phone: 617-522-3694