The Mackinac State Historic Parks (MSHP) exhibits designer is responsible for the design, fabrication, installation, and maintenance of all MSHP museum exhibits, interpretive panels, and site directional, informational, and promotional signs. This position works independently on a wide range of exhibit projects, which share the historical and nature themes of MSHP with the public. The exhibit designer reports directly to the deputy director.
- Develop visual presentation concepts for interpretive exhibitions. Test concepts through models and mock-ups.
- Design gallery spaces including traffic flow patterns, display distribution, wall and floor surfaces, lighting, HVAC requirements and ADA-related access issues.
- Design and oversee fabrication of displays including two dimensional murals, maps, and painting and three dimensional displays including cases with original historic objects and archaeological artifacts, dioramas, period settings, interactive displays and high tech audio/visual programs.
- Work effectively in a team environment providing meaningful contributions and incorporating team ideas into final products.
- Work with staff carpenters and craftsmen in construction of gallery spaces and fabrication and installation of displays; provide clear directions and high quality drawings and designs; provide hands-on assistance as needed.
- Work with MSHP collections and archaeology staff to select objects and design display techniques and maintenance standards that incorporate object conservation concerns.
- Conduct request for proposal and bidding processes, work with independent contractors including designers, artists, craftsmen, plumbers, electricians and other technical advisors; write requests for quotations and requests for proposals to obtain products and services; provide clear instructions and high quality drawings and designs; oversee work.
- Work with MSHP marketing and guest service staff to design, install, and maintain site directional, informational, and promotional signs. Coordinate work, and serve as liaison, with MSHP contract sign vendor.
- Maintain all exhibits and displays. Work with park maintenance and collections staff to keep displays clean, safe and fully operational. Repair all defects, inaccuracies and malfunctioning displays in a timely fashion
- Maintain exhibit office, design, fabrication and storage areas. Order and maintain exhibits, supplies, equipment and materials. Locate sources for specialized and hard-to-find items.
- Provide graphic design support for print projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
The employee possesses considerable experience in exhibit design and performs a full range of exhibit designs and uses considerable independent judgement to make decisions requiring the interpretation and application of guidelines with considerable latitude with respect to specific work situations. Works independently and under little supervision. May involve supervision of seasonal staff and interns.
Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts, Design, Museum Studies or related field required. Additional professional training specific to museum exhibitions required.
Minimum of three years of experience as a museum exhibit designer/preparator
How To Apply
Contact Person: Kenneth Fegan Phone: 906-847-3328
Email Address: email@example.com Fax: 906-847-3815
Apply URL: http://www.mackinacparks.com/employment/