Under general supervision, performs specialized professional planning work with primary work assignments focused on the areas of historic preservation and neighborhood planning.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Develops and administers the work plan for the City’s historic preservation program, including regulatory, planning, educational and training functions.
• Provides technical assistance and administrative support to the New Braunfels Historic Landmark Commission (HLC), including designation and design review as set forth in the New Braunfels Landmark Preservation Ordinance, and state and federal standards.
• Designs, supervises and performs surveys, research, evaluation and treatment of historic resources in accordance with state and federal standards.
• Provides technical assistance to owners of historic and architecturally significant properties.
• Oversees and coordinates complex planning project applications including conducting environmental reviews, preparing staff reports, and presenting recommendations to community groups and City Council.
• Provides technical assistance to other City offices with required state and federal project reviews, state and local environmental reviews, and the treatment of historic and architecturally significant City facilities.
• Maintains a database of all properties within the City designated under the Landmark Preservation Ordinance and on the Texas and National Registers of Historic Places.
• Maintains and updates official maps of local historic districts.
• Prepares annual report of historic preservation activities as required by the Texas Certified Local Government Program.
• May act at the discretion of the Department Director as the City’s representative at meetings with federal and state officials on design and implementation of the City’s historic preservation programs and projects.
• Serves as City liaison and provides technical assistance to neighborhood groups, to include coordinating and conducting neighborhood based participatory planning processes and supervising preparation of neighborhood plans.
• Performs advanced professional work related to a variety of planning assignments.
• Manages complex planning studies, development applications and reviews consultant proposals.
• Review and processes complex comprehensive plan amendments, rezoning, annexations, site plans, plats.
• Develops project budgets, administers bidding process, verifies contract expenditures and compliance.
• Conducts research and prepares statistical reports on land use, physical, social and economic issues.
• Attends substantial number of evening and weekend meetings
• Provides professional planning assistance to member communities on varied land use projects.
• Performs field inspections to gather data relevant to the development review process and or to verify that development projects comply with approved plans.
• Schedules and conducts meetings with advisory boards and elected officials.
• Presents reports and other findings to staff, Planning & Zoning Board, and Council and serves as a liaison to such committees.
• May perform supervisory duties.
• Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Requires a Masters Degree in Urban or Regional Planning, Historic Preservation or related field and four (4) years of professional planning experience. The City may accept a Bachelors degree in Urban or Regional Planning, Historic Preservation or related field and six years of professional planning experience. Supervisory experience may be preferred and or required. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification preferred. Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License. Professional certification by American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred.
About the Company/Organization
Salary or Pay Rate
$46,432 – $56,832
How To Apply
Apply at the reception area of the Municipal Building 424 South Castell Avenue, New Braunfels, TX. Applications also available on the City website at http://www.nbtexas.org/jobs.aspx. Resume can be submitted with completed application.