Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service (NPS). Become a part of our mission to unite our past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations.
This position serves as a museum technician at Thomas Edison National Historical Park. This is a Temporary Appointment not-to-exceed 1039 hours in a service year. The employment season is expected to last 1039 hours, ending in November 2012. The tour of duty for this position is Monday through Friday from 8am to 4:30pm. The work schedule may be adjusted due to fluctuating work demands or budgetary reasons. We hope to fill this position as soon as possible.
Selectee may only work 1,039 hours in a service year. This position may be terminated at any time due to lack of work or lack of funds. Selectee may be eligible for non-competitive rehire in future seasons depending on work demands and budget resources.
As museum technician at Thomas Edison National Historical Park, you will perform a variety of technician duties in the areas of cataloging objects, upgrading storage, curatorial recordkeeping, research, historic housekeeping, and preservation.
The work is partially sedentary with prolonged standing, walking, and bending often required. Heavy items (e.g., boxes and collection items up to 50 pounds) must be lifted or moved on a frequent basis.
Most of the work is performed in a museum environment of exhibit and storage areas, workrooms, laboratories, and offices.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- If claiming Veterans Preference, you must attach supporting documentation
- You must submit all required documents – Required Documents section below
- You will be required to wear a NPS uniform
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication
All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement, Tuesday, August 07, 2012. Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors.
To be eligible for this position, you must possess the qualifying specialized experience and/or education as described in the occupational/assessment questionnaire and as outlined below:
1. One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 level in the federal service. Experience includes but is not limited to: Preserving, cleaning, and maintaining museum artifacts; using a museum cataloging database to catalog and process museum artifacts; preparing and dismantling museum exhibits; and performing artifact research and preparing reports and findings. Experience must be documented in your resume
2. Possess 4 years of education above high school leading to a bachelor’s degree with major study or 24 semester hours of course work in art, history, museum studies, or a related field that clearly provides the background of knowledge and skills necessary for successful performance of the job. (You must submit your transcripts).
3. Possess a combination of the specialized experience and education as described above. For example, 6 months of specialized experience equals 50% of the specialized experience; and 3 years of education above the high school level (that included the required course work) equals 50% of the education. (You must submit your transcripts).
You can receive credit for education received outside the United States if you provide evidence that it is comparable to an accredited education institution in the United States when you apply. For more information, please visit: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
1. You will be required to wear a park service uniform.
2. You must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
How You Will be Evaluated
Your rating will be based on both your responses to the Job Assessment Questionnaire and the information stated in your resume. The assessment questions relate to the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs)/competencies that are required to perform the work of this position. Only education and experience acquired by the closing filing deadline will be considered.
Please Note : All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. Upon review, if it is determined that your work history, KSAs/competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified or your score may be modified. Please ensure that your work history provides enough detail to support your answers to the KSAs/competencies. Errors and/or omissions may affect your rating.
1. Knowledge of curatorial, preservation, and conservation methods and procedures.
2. Skill in the use of a cataloging database
3. The ability to research and evaluate historical material.
4. The ability to communicate in writing.
You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as “varies”.
About the Company/Organization
For more than forty years, the laboratory created by Thomas Alva Edison in West Orange, New Jersey, had enormous impact on the lives of millions of people worldwide. Out of the West Orange laboratories came the motion picture camera, vastly improved phonographs, sound recordings, silent and sound movies and the nickel-iron alkaline electric storage battery.
Thomas Edison National Historical Park provides a unique opportunity to interpret and experience important aspects of America’s industrial, social and economic past, and to learn from the legacy of the world’s best known inventor. For more information visit the park’s website at http://www.nps.gov/edis
Salary or Pay Rate
$16.91 to $21.99 / Per Hour.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes
1. Your Résumé – We encourage you to use the USAJOBS online Resume Builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you choose to use your own resume make sure it lists all of the required information needed (job title, job pay system/series/grade, dates of employment, duties, hours per week, schools attended, degrees earned/total credit hours, and any other job-related training/skills/honors/certificates, licenses.)
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below)
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 .
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process. Note: To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following vacancy number 714067 . Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot apply online
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire,
2. Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf and
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
When faxing documents, follow the procedures outlined below
Include the 6-character Vacancy Identification Number: 714067.
Provide your Social Security Number and full name in the spaces provided or we will not be able to associate your document(s) with the rest of your application.
You may submit multiple documents for the same vacancy announcement using one cover page.
The following will prevent your documents from being processed
Not using the 1203FX cover page mentioned above.
Missing, incomplete or invalid Vacancy Identification Number
Missing or incomplete Social Security Number or name.
Faxed document will take 2-3 business day to process. Faxed documents with missing information will not be processed.
Note: If you have documents in your Application Manager account from a previous vacancy announcement then can be opened, copied and saved then reused as an uploaded file for this vacancy. Uploading your documents will speed the processing of your application for this announcement.
Note: If you receive an email stating that there was a technical problem uploading your documents, you should fax the documents following the instructions above. Be sure to use the fax cover sheet that was linked in the vacancy announcement, include the appropriate VIN (six digit code) so that the fax is processed properly and promptly. For further questions regarding applying online or by fax, please contact OPM at ApplicationManagerHelpDesk@opm.gov
Instructions for answering the questions in the Occupational Questionnaire: If you are applying to this announcement by completing the OPM 1203-FX form instead of using the Online Application method, please use the following step-by-step instructions as a guide to filling out the required questionnaire. You will need to print the vacancy announcement and refer to it as you answer the questions. You may omit any optional information; however, you must provide responses to all required questions. Be sure to double check your application before submission.
1. Your Résumé – We encourage you to use the USAJOBS online Resume Builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you choose to use your own resume make sure it lists all of the required information needed (job title, job pay system/series/grade, dates of employment, duties, hours per week, schools attended, degrees earned/total credit hours, and any other job-related training/skills/honors/certificates, licenses). Do not submit photographs with your application.
2. Complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Veterans Documentation (DD-214, SF-15, VA letter)
4. Transcripts or Itemized Course List (if qualifications are based on your education)
5. Include the 6 character Vacancy Identification Number 714067
6. ICTAP/CTAP Documentation (if eligible, see below).
Veterans Documentation : http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
If you are claiming a 5-point preference you must submit a copy of your DD-214, which includes character of service, or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service, which includes service dates, nature of separation and character of service. You can access to your DD-214 here . If you are claiming a 10-point preference you must submit the SF-15 and the documentation required by that form substantiating your claim. SF-15 Application for 10-point Preference can be obtained here . NOTE : You will not receive veterans preference for this announcement if you fail to provide any of the documents mentioned above.
Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be “well qualified” for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles will be considered well qualified if he/she meets all qualification requirements for the position and is rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. Applicants must provide proof of program eligibility in order to receive consideration under CTAP/ICTAP (i.e., agency notice of separation, most recent performance rating, SF-50 reflecting current position, grade level, and duty station). Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible.
Later selections may be made from this vacancy announcement as the need arises. This announcement is being advertised under delegated examining procedures and is open to all US citizens. You do not have to be a current or former government employee to be considered for this position. APPLICANTS WHO DO NOT SUBMIT THE REQUIRD DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT RECEIVE FULL CONSIDERATION. Please click on the “Print Preview” to view the full announcement. You are encouraged to read the entire announcement before you submit your application package. Your application will not get full consideration if you do not follow the instructions as outlined.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
National Park Service
National Park Service
200 Chestnut Street
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted