The Thomas Cole National Historic Site in Catskill, New York seeks a part-time curator to assist with three main areas: the collection, the exhibitions gallery,and the “Cole Fellows” program. The gallery work is primarily during the winter months, the Fellows work occurs in the warmer months, and collections management is year-round. The site’s collection consists of both fine and decorative arts objects that relate to the 19th-century artist Thomas Cole (1801-1848) and his family. In the exhibitions gallery, the site presents one major exhibition each year from May through October. The Cole Fellows program brings recent graduates to the historic site from June through October to provide guided tours for visitors and to conduct research and other projects that are beneficial to the historic site.
- Manage and care for collection objects; accession new objects, keep collection database and files updated.
- Manage exhibitions gallery: administer loan forms, arrange shipping and insurance, assist with installation, create wall labels, etc.
- Assist with orientation and ongoing training of docents, fellows and interns
- Manage fellows’ and interns’ project work to ensure completion of their projects.
- Plan and coordinate enriching events and trips for fellows and interns
- Mentor and coach fellows and interns on career choices and job searching
- Give tours to VIP groups and fill in giving tours in May before the interns arrive
- Assist the Executive Director with a variety of projects including occasional powerpoint presentations, assistance with special events, and donor cultivation and education.
Hours and compensation: Hours for the position are 12 hours per week, preferably over three days, depending on the availability of the candidate. Compensation will depend on the candidate’s skills and experience.
Qualifications: The position requires the following: a graduate degree in art history, history, museum studies, or a related field; specific training and/or at least two years of experience with collections management and registrar duties; experience with exhibitions management; and knowledge of and/or interest in 19th-century American art and history. The successful candidate will have excellent writing skills, the ability to give presentations in front of a group, a high degree of comfort with giving tours, and excellent interpersonal skills. In addition, he or she must be highly organized, possess time-management skills, and be self-motivated. The position requires moderate physical activity including climbing stairs and moving about the historic site in hot summers and cool spring and fall weather.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to the Thomas Cole Historic Site, PO Box 426, Catskill, NY, 12414, or email to email@example.com.