Fauquier County‘s Planning Division is currently seeking a planner experienced in both land use planning and historic resources. Located in the Virginia Piedmont, the County has a long established planning philosophy of developing thriving service districts surrounded by active agriculture. The County also seeks to preserve environmental and historic resources while encouraging economic development. Planners are therefore involved in a great variety of challenging cases and projects.
This position within the Planning Division of the Department of Community Development is responsible for:
- Preparing Comprehensive Plan amendments and small area plans;
- Providing case management and analysis of special exceptions and rezonings;
- Managing the Countys historic preservation program;
- Providing staff support to the County Architectural Review Board which focuses on historic preservation outreach and education;
- Preparing grant applications and administering grants; and
- Providing technical assistance to citizens, community groups, developers and design firms.
Minimum requirements include
- A Bachelors degree in urban planning, historic or preservation planning, architectural history or a closely related field, with a Masters degree preferred;
- At least three (3) years of experience that includes both land use analysis and community planning, and historic resources planning;
- Knowledge of Comprehensive Plans, Zoning Ordinances and Subdivision Ordinances;
- Knowledge of National Register Historic Districts and Section 106 Review;
- Experience with building research, knowledge of architectural styles and forms and periods of development;
- Strong research, communication and writing skills; and
- Proficiency in GIS and Microsoft Office.
Salary or Pay Rate
How To Apply
Interested applicants must submit an on-line Fauquier County classified application, available on the County’s website: www.fauquiercounty.gov. This is a career ladder position. Minimum starting salary is $49,588, with salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Open until 04/30/2012.