We are fundraising for website improvements to Histpres.com. If everyone who sees this post today, donates $1 we’d meet our goal today, too. But what’s the fun in that? Let’s exceed our goal because the donation period is open for one month, until January 31, 2013. Every contributor will receive a Histpres sticker!
Update: We have been offered a fundraising challenge by McDoux Preservation, LLC from Texas. If we raise $445 of our $645 goal by January, owner Steph McDougal will contribute the final $200 to get us to the finish line! Please contribute today to take advantage of this generous show of support! The secure contribute form is below.
Why We’re Fundraising
Since the October 2011, website redesign we’ve gotten pretty good at bringing you jobs, internships, professional development opportunities and weekly blogs. In fact, since then, we have published over 700 jobs and internships, and nearly 450 professional development opportunities, as well as over 60 awesome blogs authored by young preservationists across America. Our content is always improving.
But over time a couple of features on the website have stopped working and we want to introduce new features that help you build your preservation career. So we are fundraising to be able to provide you with the following:
Planned Website Improvements
- Search: Better search capabilities, including searching by location. We know you want this featured because the top ten searches are always cities or states.
- Email + Share: An easier way to flag jobs you like, send them to yourself, and/or share them.
- Deadline Calendar: A deadline calendar so you never miss an opportunity!
- Profiles: Personal profiles and portfolios to showcase your skills and recent projects during your job hunt; a personal Histpres.com url, too.
- Discussion Board: Ways to communicate with each other! About career paths, school choices, research and architectural questions, best practices for writing professional documents, and the preservation causes that you want to share.
- E-Newsletters: More informative and visually appealing e-newsletters.
- Something else? Email email@example.com with your suggestions.
The goal is $645 dollars because we plan to work with a WordPress development company, that is so interested in what we do at Histpres, that they are discounting our rate. The more funds we can raise, the more features we can add for you. All funds raised will go directly into site improvements and we’ll keep you updated on our progress.
Histpres does not receive any government or institutional funding. We have invested our personal funds and time into this website, because we know we are providing a needed service to our cohort of preservationists looking for unique and meaningful work. We’ve found ours – operating Histpres.com.
Please stick up for Histpres.com today. Not sure how much to give, consider this. If you visit Histpres.com once a month, how about $12; once a week, how about $52; once a day, how about $365. Or anywhere in between, the contribution amount is up to you. We appreciate your support.
Use the following form to contribute securely through PayPal using your PayPal account or, if you don’t have an account, you can use a credit card securely. Not into Internet transactions? Please mail a check and your contact information to Meagan Baco, PO Box 853, Buffalo, NY 14205. We will acknowledge receipt before deposit.
Thank you, friend. We will update this post with news about this fundraiser and let you know when to expect the new features that we are so excited to bring you. Peace and preservation!
Meagan Baco and Laura Burghardt co-founded Histpres.com in 2009, since then it has become a nationally popular website for young and emerging professionals in historic preservation and related fields. The website averages 30,000 page views per month, and saw over 75,000 unique visitors this year. Meagan and Laura have presented on trends in preservation employment and education at the National Preservation Conference, and are individually accomplished in advocacy and archaeology, respectively. For more, see About Us.