Surveyors will work under the direction of State Historic Preservation Division (SHPD) Architecture Branch staff to complete targeted reconnaissance level surveys of neighborhoods and sites across the island of Oahu. The positions will support the SHPD mission of identifying Hawaii’s historic resources. The work will result in better understanding of Oahu’s built environment and in recommendations for future district nominations to the National Register of Historic Places. The island has a diverse array of terrain and settlements from densely packed urban areas, to sprawling suburbs, small towns and large tracts of open space. Surveyors may be asked to work in any of these environs. Survey positions will last 6 weeks (approximately 30 hours per week) from July 9 to August 15. The number of positions is dependent on funding.
- Conduct surveys of historic resources
- Photograph historic resources using digital cameras
- Research neighborhood histories using archival resources
- Create and maintain accurate maps of surveyed resources
- Identify character defining features.
- Compile and organize archival research
- Write neighborhood and resource histories
- Determine historic integrity of resources
- Make recommendations for future National Register nominations
- Assist architecture branch with other projects as necessary
- One year graduate level coursework in Historic Preservation, Architectural History or Architecture
- Knowledge of historic resource survey techniques and research methods
- Familiarity with the regulatory framework of historic preservation
- Knowledge of the National Register of Historic Places criteria
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and complete projects
- Ability to work outdoors in warm weather for extended periods
- Some familiarity with Hawaii and its built environment is preferred but not required.
About the Company/Organization
The State Historic Preservation Division is Hawaii’s SHPO. The division is tasked with managing historic preservation programs within the state of Hawaii. The division is headquartered on the island of Oahu home to Honolulu and nearly 1 million of Hawaii’s citizens.
Salary or Pay Rate
How To Apply
Send a Resume and cover letter to:
Michael Gushard – SHPD Architectural Historian at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions or more information call between 9am and 3pm HST at (808) 692-8026 or email.